With the weather getting cooler now I am finding myself making fleece things again such as hats, mittens, scarves, legwarmers etc. How about you? Here is a great free pom pom fleece hat sewing pattern for you!
Here is a FREEBIE for you again! As part of an adorable set which includes hat, mittens and legwarmers, today I’m sharing this easy to sew fleece hat sewing pattern which has ultra cute fringe pom poms sewn on to the pointy corners. All in all a super easy DIY! Wanna make one to keep your kids heads toasty this fall and winter? Come on, I’ll show you how!
This hat comes in three size groups, for newborns, up to 3t and up to 12 girls. The templates are downloadable. Oh and don’t miss to check out our other free fleece patterns for mittens.
⇓- – – – – – – – PIN THIS – – – – – – – – – ⇓
Gather Your Materials:
- sewing machine
- embroidery thread and matching hand sew needle
- optionally a cutting mat and rotary cutter
It’s time to get started!
Download the hat templates HERE and print both pages, cut around perimeter of templates and tape together following the tape markings. You only need 1/3 yard of fleece. Fold over the fleece from side to side and place the template onto the fold of the fleece, matching the templates fold line. Cut out one piece of fleece on the fold. Then follow the step-by-step picture tutorial.
Pom Pom Fleece Hat Sewing Pattern Tutorial:
- Step-by-step instructions:
- Place larger fleece in front of you with the right side of fleece facing down as well at the print direction (if applicable). Fold bottom edge up 1″, then pin and sew in place with a wide zigzag stitch or stretch stitch.
- Fold piece over to the side and pin then sew the top and side edges. Backstitch the end. Turn hat with right sides out. You only have one side seam.
- Thread your needle with a long piece of embroidery thread. Double knot one end. Now take each corner of the hat and pinch at about 2″ down from the corner and sew back and forth to form an “ear”. Double knot thread before cutting. Repeat with other corner.
- Cut 2 pieces of fleece 4×7″ and cut small strips along the long side. Cut strips at 1/2″ thick.
- Divide each cut piece of fleece strips in two stashes
- Cut both stashes in half
- Stack cut strip halves and insert needle with embroidery thread through the center of strips.
- With the thread ends, tie a tight knot. Repeat with second stack of strips
- Last step is to sew both pom poms on to the front ears of the hat where you have previously sewn them tight. Double knot the ends and trim off close to the fleece.
All done! Enjoy your new pom pom fleece hat!
If you like this FREEBIE, please share it with your friends!
Want to be the first to know when free patterns (such as the faux fur muff or the Christmas PJ applique tutorial are posted? Please subscribe via the box in the sidebar!
- Free Welcome To Our Farm SVG File - July 17, 2021
- Professional Overthinker SVG File – Download Today! - July 8, 2021
- Free Wine Lover SVG Files – Download NOW! - July 7, 2021
[email protected] says
Ok I love this! You are genius. I gotta pin this and also try it soon! You just gained a new fan!
lol thank you so much!! 🙂
Kristina & Millie says
too cool! I can use this for NIN using the scraps from the blankets. I have been saving them up thinking I would find a use for them. Thanks so much for the tute and idea!
Yes, that is a great idea to use up fleece scraps!! Thanks for visiting today!!
Anne @ Domesblissity says
Hi Denise! It’s way too hot for a fleece hat here in Australia at the moment but I’m definitely keeping this in mind for next winter. Thanks so much for linking up to Thriving on Thursdays. I’m featuring this post at tomorrow’s party. It’s lovely to have you visit.
Anne @ Domesblissity
Christine | Mid-Life Croissant says
I really really really want to learn to use a sewing machine. I hand sew a halloween costume once a year…that’s the extent of my craftiness in that area. It’s on the list but who knows when I’ll get to it! Thanks for linking up at #SaucySaturdays.
Lou Lou Girls says
Super cute! Pinned and tweet. Thank you for being a part of our party. I hope to see you on Monday at 7 pm, because we love to party with you! Happy Halloween~Lou Lou Girls
THANK YOU!!! So great to party together!!
[email protected] says
So cute! I pinned it! Thanks for sharing at the Manic Mondays blog hop 🙂
Awesome! Thanks so much for visiting!
Ulla Benveniste says
I am happy to have stumbled onto your blog,this fleece hat is just what the sewing doctor ordered so I thank you very much and I will get busy right of way!
Signed up for the newsletter, but can’t find where to access the template pattern for the Pom Pom Fleece hat.
please inform on how I can get it. Thank you.
How do I get the patterns? I just keep getting ads for a DOc to PDF, but cannot get the patterns for the hats or legwarmers. 🙁