Since fleece is one of my favorite materials to sew with during cold months I want to show you today how I made a one-sided fleece bolero tutorial from a pattern and added trim.
Boleros are not only great essentials for adding extra warmth throughout the cold months but also to add some interest to a wardrobe. This bolero is made from fleece or cuddle fabric (minky as pictured, available HERE) and has some cute trim around the perimeter.
⇓ – – – – – PIN THIS – – – – – ⇓
For this fleece bolero tutorial I am using my free bolero sewing pattern (which is lined). You can make this bolero lined and still add trim but for this tutorial I chose to make a single layer bolero.
Gather Your Materials
- Fleece or minky/cuddle fabric
- sewing machine
- bolero pattern (I used my free one from this post)
- trim (measure perimeter of the bolero incl. sleeves to determine how much you need – plus 2″)
- optional clasp
Follow this picture tutorial:
- Print out your pattern of choice and cut out one back piece and two front pieces of the bolero
- Place the front pieces onto the back piece with right sides down and pin then sew both shoulder areas.
- Unfold bolero so that the right side is facing down.
- Fold the sleeve hem 1/2″ up and pin then sew in place using a zigzag stitch. Repeat with other side.
- Pin and sew the sides.
- Pin and sew the entire perimeter of the bolero.
- This is your bolero now.
- Pin your trim to the outside of the bolero and sew it on.
- Add a clasp if you prefer.
And your (one-sided) bolero with pretty trim is done!